The Artistic Co-Directors Caroline Howarth and Mieko Ouchi welcome actors to submit new or updated resumes electronically or by mail throughout the year. We invite actors who have not previously worked for the company, or with whose work they are not familiar or recently familiar (have not auditioned for the company for at least two years previous) to our General Auditions in May of each year.
Requirements for General Auditions:
- Two contrasting contemporary monologues, one of which is Canadian. Total time: 10 minutes.
- If you are a singer, you may replace one of the monologues with a song of your choosing under 3 minutes. A Boom Box will be available.
- You may be asked to do a cold reading.
- Please bring a current headshot and resume.
- Concrete Theatre attends Emerge each year in Alberta, so please do not sign up for an audition if you participated this year, unless you are being specifically called back by the Artistic Co-Directors.
- May 27 and 28, 2013
- Please call Irene Kunda in the Concrete Theatre office at 780-439-3905 to submit yourself for consideration for a 20 minute slot.
- Priority will be given to Equity members and Equity registered Apprentices on the first two days.
- Concrete Theatre’s office is at: 6-17, Stanley A. Milner Library, 7 Sir Winston Churchill Square in Edmonton.
- Our offices are on the 6th floor of the library building itself. Please come in the main entrance of the library and take the central elevator up to the sixth floor. Signs will direct you to the room.
Concrete Theatre is a professional Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) company whose mandate is to produce artistically excellent, challenging and culturally diverse theatre for young people and their families. Our critically acclaimed and award winning productions have included: Offensive Fouls, Under Cover, Routes, Lig & Bittle, The Early Bloomer, Smokescreen, Apples and Oranges, Jeremy Fisher, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, The Shape of a Girl, The Incredible Adventures of Mary Jane Mosquito, The Plum Tree, Are We There Yet?, Rice and Naomi’s Road.
We do main-stage productions in Edmonton, as well as tour productions to Elementary, Junior and Senior High schools in Edmonton and across Alberta. We also tour nationally and have been presented in theatres and festivals including: Young People’s Theatre (formerly The Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People) (Toronto), The National Arts Centre (Ottawa), Kids on the Waterfront Festival (Dartmouth, N.S.), Grande Prairie Live Theatre (Grande Prairie), Persephone Theatre - Youth Series (Saskatoon) and The Grand Theatre (London).
Our work has been recognized with 8 Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Awards in Edmonton (Under Cover, Routes, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, Jeremy Fisher, The Shape of A Girl, Lig & Bittle, Are We There Yet? and Naomi’s Road) and a 2011 Dora Award in Toronto (Routes) for Outstanding Production for Young Audiences.
We also produce a yearly new play development festival, the first of its kind in Canada: The Sprouts New Play Festival for Kids, which was founded in 2002 and just celebrated its 11th Anniversary.
We are a member of PACT and the EAC and operate under the auspices of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association. Please check out our full website in advance of your audition for additional information and history about the company. www.concretetheatre.ca