Concrete Theatre welcomes actors to submit new or updated resumes electronically or by mail throughout the year. We invite actors who have not previously worked for the company, or with whose work they are not familiar or recently familiar (have not auditioned for the company for at least two years previous) to our General Auditions in May 2017. As our productions tour during the school year, and we are a professional theatre company hiring CAEA or professionally trained artists, you must be over 18 to audition for the company.
Requirements for General Auditions:
- Two contrasting contemporary monologues, one of which is Canadian. Total time: 10 minutes.
- You may be asked to do a cold reading.
- Please bring a current headshot and resume.
- Concrete Theatre attends Emerge each year in Alberta, so please do not sign up for an audition if you participated this year, unless you are being specifically called back by the Artistic Director.
- May 2016
- Please call Patrick Beagan in the Concrete Theatre office at 780-439-3905 to submit yourself for consideration for a 20 minute slot.
- Priority will be given to Equity members and Equity registered Apprentices on the first two days.
- Concrete Theatre’s office is at: 102, 10033 - 80 Avenue
Concrete Theatre is a professional Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) company whose mandate is to produce artistically excellent, challenging and culturally diverse theatre for young people and their families. Our critically acclaimed and award winning productions have included: Offensive Fouls, Under Cover, Routes, Lig & Bittle, The Early Bloomer, Smokescreen, Apples and Oranges, Jeremy Fisher, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, The Shape of a Girl, The Incredible Adventures of Mary Jane Mosquito, The Plum Tree, Are We There Yet?, Rice and Naomi’s Road.
We do main-stage productions in Edmonton, as well as tour productions to Elementary, Junior and Senior High schools in Edmonton and across Alberta. We also tour nationally and have been presented in theatres and festivals including: Young People’s Theatre (formerly The Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People) (Toronto), The National Arts Centre (Ottawa), Kids on the Waterfront Festival (Dartmouth, N.S.), Grande Prairie Live Theatre (Grande Prairie), Persephone Theatre - Youth Series (Saskatoon) and The Grand Theatre (London).
Our work has been recognized with 8 Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Awards in Edmonton (Under Cover, Routes, Nami Namersson, The Viking Who Liked To Name Things, Jeremy Fisher, The Shape of A Girl, Lig & Bittle, Are We There Yet? and Naomi’s Road) and a 2011 Dora Award in Toronto (Routes) for Outstanding Production for Young Audiences.
We also produce a yearly new play development festival, the first of its kind in Canada: The Sprouts New Play Festival for Kids, which was founded in 2002.
We are a member of PACT and the EAC and operate under the auspices of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association. Please check out our full website in advance of your audition for additional information and history about the company. www.concretetheatre.ca