Concrete Theatre is an award-winning professional theatre company committed to creating, developing and producing artistically excellent Theatre for Young Audiences. We create work that is culturally diverse and inclusive, and that explores issues relevant to the lives of young people and their families.
A brief history
Concrete Theatre began in 1987 and was officially registered as a not-for-profit society in 1989. We started off as a collectively-run, popular theatre company operating on a project-to-project basis. But how we’ve grown!
Our regular season now consists of 3 touring productions: a Repertory tour consisting of 2 shows—1 for Elementary schools, 1 for Junior and Senior Highs, plus an annual fall standalone production/residency. We also produce the Sprouts New Play Festival for Kids, commissioning 3 playwrights each year to develop new, short, culturally diverse TYA scripts.
We have a very active new play development program, offer educational camps and classes, and are seeing a growing national touring schedule. We are also the home of the Edmonton chapter of The 3.7% Initiative, a national program to develop artistic leadership skills for ethnically diverse women and non-binary people.
Awards and Recognition
2019 Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Awards:
- Outstanding Production for Young Audiences, Songs My Mother Never Sung Me
- Outstanding Score of a Play or Musical: Dave Clarke, Songs My Mother Never Sung Me
- Outstanding Artistic Achievement, Theatre for Young Audiences, Luc Tellier, Actor, Songs My Mother Never Sung Me
- Outstanding Production for Young Audiences, CTRL-ALT-DEL
- Outstanding Artistic Achievement, Theatre for Young Audiences, Jana O’Connor, Playwright, CTRL-ALT-DEL
- Outstanding Artistic Achievement, Theatre for Young Audiences, Mieko Ouchi, Director, CTRL-ALT-DEL
Looking for the full story? Learn more about Concrete Theatre and our full history here.
Diversity and inclusion
Currently, self-identified culturally-diverse women and non-binary people hold only 3.7% of the artistic theatre leadership positions in Canada, and we want to boost that number. Increase your skills, and work with others to make a change in theatre in Canada through the 3.7% Initiative!
Work with Us
If you are interested in engaging children and youth in innovative theatre projects, we are interested in you! Please check out the different ways you can connect with us.
Funders and partners
We are proud to be supported by funders, sponsors and individuals who believe in our vision and our work.
Learn more about the team behind Concrete Theatre.
What We Believe
a page dedicated to our values and beliefs