"This is the story of how my mom, helped me... find my voice."
This is how playwright and composer Dave Clarke poetically describes this innovative inclusive production for family audiences, performed in sung English and ASL.
Songs My Mother Never Sung Me is an opera for families about the relationship between a deaf mom and her hearing son. The piece is bilingual, and performed in sung English and ASL without surtitles or interpretation. The heart of this touching and funny work is its intimate connection to playwright Dave Clarke’s experience growing up as a CODA (Child of Deaf Adult).
Presented by Concrete Theatre as part of SOUND OFF: A Deaf Theatre Festival
- Music and Lyrics by Dave Clarke
- Co-Directed and Co-Dramaturged by Caroline Howarth & Mieko Ouchi
- Assistant Directed by Kelsie Acton
- Stage Managed by Sang Sang Lee
- Starring Susan Gilmour, Elizabeth Morris, Kieren Martin Murphy & Luc Tellier
- Musical Director and Pianist Erik Mortimer
- ASL Coach and Deaf Consultant Amorena Barlett
- Deaf Consultant and Outreach Connor Yuzwenko-Martin
- Interpreters: Andrea Konowalec, Brooke Wigmore & Nicole Sander
- Set and Prop Design by C.M. Zuby and Lynette Maurice
- Projection Design by Kim Clegg
- Lighting Design by Patrick Beagan
- Sound Design by Bobby Smale
- Graphic Design by Curio Studio
- Publicist Catch the Keys
- Photos by Epic Photography